Gaining this qualification provides you with the responsibility and key skills needed for prevention and response. On completion of this qualification you will receive 20 NCEA level 3 credits and the opportunity to start a career as a Lifeguard in the aquatics industry.
For more information on the Pool Lifeguard qualification, please visit the Skills Active website.
To enrol on a lifeguard course:
You must be 16 years of age on the day you begin the training and be able to complete the pre-course assessment where you must demonstrate your ability to:
- Swim 200m in under 6 minutes
- Swim 50m breaststroke
- Swim 25m sidestroke
- Tread water for 5 minutes
- Retrieve an object from the bottom of the deepest part of the pool
To complete the qualification you must:
- Have a relevant first aid qualification (6400,6401,6402)
- Complete the course and theory assessment
- Complete the practical assessment following the course
- Participate in a facility induction
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours shadowing lifeguard duties
If you are interested in signing up to our next lifeguard course please complete this application form.
If you hold a current PLPC and would like to come join our team, please get in touch! Contact us on 06 765 6275 or email email@example.com
There are so many opportunities in the Aquatics. Click the links below to find out how you can continue to level up after becoming a qualified lifeguard.